What To Do When A Project Overwhelms You
The secret of getting ahead is getting started
The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one
~ Mark Twain
Are you feeling overwhelmed, anxious, or depressed? Do you have a large project ahead of you and cannot get started because you are either overwhelmed with emotions or the size of the project?
Here are 2 challenges for you and a list of ways you can balance yourself while progressing forward in a project.
Challenge One: this weekend, identify a project that needs to be done and make a list of the tasks that need to be completed. Start with simple tasks such as getting the cleaning supplies out and place on the counter and progress your list to name all the tasks it will take to complete the project.
Look at the list and identify two goals that you want to work on this upcoming week. One small goal that can easily or quickly be accomplished and one larger goal that will take you time or effort.
When you complete your tasks be sure to mark those tasks off of the list. Our brains love seeing progress no matter how big or small the progress is. Your brain does not stop to see what is under the line but that that task is done and that moves you forward.
Challenge Two: Find one thing you can do on Friday, one on Saturday, and one on Sunday that is meant to balance and reward yourself.
Here are some ideas for you to try
1) Turn off the news sources
2) Stop using social media
3) Drink your favorite hot tea or flavored coffee
4) Talk a walk
5) Check out yoga
6) Read the Bible
7) Find a great meditation app or Youtube channel
8) Breathing techniques
11) Body stretching. Also available on Youtube
12) Go on a short drive
13) Start a daily affirmation book/journal
14) Go on a long drive
15) Hug someone in your house
16) Kiss your spouse
17) Brush your hair
18) Listen to your favorite pastor
19) Take a hot bubble bath
20) Do one act of kindness for a loved one
21) Do one act of kindness for a stranger
22) Take a 5-minute nap
23) Journal your fears
24) Journal your joys
25) Sleep in
26) Make a list of things you want to see or places you want to go
27) Listen to your favorite song
28) Listen to your favorite genre of music
29) Fix a healthy snack
30) Do a facial
31) Do your nails
32) Use your favorite scented lotion
33) Fix a healthy snack
34) Find a new craft project to start